Acne (Acne vulgaris) is a chronic skin ailment usually occurring on the skin of the face, neck, chest and shoulders; sometimes on the back as well. More than sixty percent teens suffer from some type/severity of acne.
Oil and dead cells trapped in skin-pore turn into blackheads when exposed to air. Blackheads, when inflamed, become red and are termed pimples. Pimples are usually red or yellow colored inflammations on the skin. Matured pimples are often filled with pus that spreads on the surrounding area when squeezed; resulting in further infection. Chronic breakouts of Pimples is termed as Acne condition.
What Causes Acne
Technically, bacterial infection in the overactive oil glands leads to the formation of pimples.
Hormonal changes/imbalance (during puberty or by menstrual cycles in women) overstimulates oil glands and overactive oil glands play major role in causing pimples.
- Steroieds and medicines containing lithium, iodides, bromides etc are found to worsen pimple conditions.
- Stress, inactivity, and hereditary factors are often responsible for causing pimples and acne.
- Chronic constipation, irregular/unusual consumption behavior, unbalanced hours of eating, excess of sugar, starch, fried and fatty foods, tea, coffee, alcohol or tobacco can often cause acne.
Acne Home Remedies
- Garlic: External use of garlic helps clear spots, pimples and boils from the skin. Few cloves of raw garlic taken daily can help purify the blood and cure acne in a month.
- Apply grated cucumber over the face, eyes, and neck while sleeping or taking rest.
- sandalwood and black gram paste, applied after rose water on the face, should be left overnight and washed with cool water in the morning.
- Lemon juice and honey in equal amounts should be applied with a cotton ball and left for half an hour before washing. Applying fresh fresh lemon juice on the pimples and leaving it overnight does help. This needs to be followed for atleast 3-4 weeks.
- Make a paste out of equal amount of mashed apple, cooked oatmeal, egg white and little lemon juice and apply to entire face. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Honey and cinnamon powder mixed into a fine paste should be applied before sleeping and left overnight. Do this until acne goes away. (takes 4-5 weeks for results)
- Raw papaya juice can be applied on the Pimples (affected areas only).
- Coriander juice (or mint juice) with 5% turmeric powder helps kill pimples and blackheads.
- Dried Basil leaves should be boiled in water, cooled down and then applied on the affected area.
- Paste of some margosa leaves mixed with turmeric powder can be applied on pimple affected area as an effective home medicine pack.
- Paste of Fenugreek leaves applied over the face before going to bed helps prevent pimples and blackheads.
Paste of dried and ground orange peel with water can be applied on the affected area and left for 30 minutes before cleaning.
Preacautions and Diets for Acne Prevention
- Wash the face three to four times a day to with antiseptic soap in order to clean gathered dust and particles from the skin. Use clean soft towels and never rub the towel on the skin.
- Avoid stress. Do regular physical excercise. Stop eating oily and junk food.
- Avoid excess cleaning of face with soap.
- Avoid artificial skin products and chemicals for the treatment of pimples.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sun as UV rays can further damage your skin.
- Vitamin A helps in protect the upper layer of cells. It’s also very good antioxidant. e.g. carrot, eggs, ghee, sweet potato, mangoes and apricot
- Chromium and zinc supplemented diet: e.g. whole grains, seafood, meat and brewers yeast.
- Pumpkin offers minerals, vitamins, fiber and antioxidant to keep the skin healthy and young.